Before You Start
You must have a Salesforce developer account before you start. If you do not have one, then create one.
Otherwise, the New Connected App section won’t appear on the Salesforce apps page.
Salesforce Identity Provider Setup
You need to perform these steps in Salesforce.
- Log in to
- Click the (your name) drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner and choose Setup. Alternately, choose the Setup link in the top right corner if it is displayed in your Salesforce version.
- You also need a namespace prefix.
- If you have not created one, in Salesforce, in the left navigation panel, go to Create > Packages. You should see a page similar to the one shown in Figure 1. If you do not see this page, quit. Go back to the prerequisites and create a developer account at the link shown above.
Figure 1: Create Packages Page
- In the center panel (which is Developer Settings) click Edit. A new page is displayed.
- Read the directions and click Continue.
- On the new page, enter your namespace prefix. You do not have to select a package to be managed at this time. You can come back to this step and do it later. Click Check Availability. If your prefix is available, continue (otherwise, change it).
- Click Review my Selections. Your namespace prefix is displayed, and no packages. Your prefix is already saved.
- In the left navigation panel (under Create) choose Apps.
- The Apps list is displayed, and contains the default apps. Below that, you will see a section called Connected Apps which is probably empty. In the Connected Apps section, choose New.
Figure 2: Connected Apps Page
- A new page is displayed. Enter a name for your app.
Figure 3: New Connected App Page
- You must enter your Developer Name. However, you must enter your name without any spaces. For example, instead of “Philippe Hilger”, you would use “PhilippeHilger.”
- Enter a Description and the URLs (if you have them).
- Your Contact Email is required. This should be an address that more than one person can access.
In the Janrain Dashboard:
- Sign in to the Janrain Dashboard (dashboard.janrain.com).
- Click the Manage Engage App button () corresponding to the property to configure.
- On the Providers tile, click the Manage Providers button () to access the Provider Configuration page.
- In the list on the right, click Salesforce.
- Click Configure. This starts the Salesforce Setup Wizard. Note: You won’t follow the wizard instructions exactly, because they are for older accounts.
- In the setup wizard you have already created your Salesforce account, so click Next.
- On the setup wizard, your callback URL is displayed. Copy it and paste it into the Callback URL field on the Salesforce page.
On the Salesforce Page:
- Use Digital Signatures (or not, as you see fit).
- In the Available OAuth Scopes section, select Access and manage your data, Access your basic information, and Perform requests on your behalf at any time and use the arrow to move them to the Selected OAuth Scopes panel.
- Mobile Integration and Supported App types are up to you. You can always add these features later.
- Click Save. A summary page is displayed.
- On the summary page, the third panel down is API Integration. In it, find your Consumer Key and copy it to the Salesforce Setup Wizard.
- To the right of the Consumer Key is your Consumer Secret (you must click the link to show it). Copy and paste your secret into the setup wizard.
- Click Save. A success message is displayed.
Your Salesforce provider is now configured and available as an option for Social Login.