Before You Start
You need a Renren account (which you can create at renren.com).
Log In to Renren
Note: If you cannot read Chinese, you may want to use a browser that can translate the page for you.
- Go to renren.com.
- Enter your email address in box 1.
- Enter a password in box 2.
- Enter the bot-defeating code in box 3. Do not ignore this step!
Figure 1: Renren Login
- If you need to create a new account, you must either be able to type Chinese characters on your computer or get an account from Renren.com.
Renren Identity Provider Setup
To set up Renren as an identity provider, follow these steps.
- Sign in to the Janrain Dashboard (dashboard.janrain.com).
- Click the Manage Engage App button () corresponding to the property to configure.
- On the right side of the page, click the Provider Configuration link.
- In the list on the right, click Renren.
- Click Configure. This starts the Renren Setup Wizard.
Figure 2: Renren Setup Wizard, Intro Page
- After you log in to Renren, switch to the setup wizard and click the developers link (see Figure 1—you may need to log in again).
- In the top navigation bar, click Application Development (the second selection from the left in the top navigation menu).
- Click the yellow button. A pop-up dialog is displayed.
Figure 3: Creating an App
- Enter the name of your application.
- Select the boxes for I have read and accepted the agreements.
- Click Continue. A new page is displayed.
Figure 4: Keys
- Copy the values for API Key and Secret Key into a text file. You will need them later.
Enter Application Information
- Go back to your configuration pop-up. If you do not see a list of setting values including your Callback URL, click Next. You will need this value later.
- Click Basic information on the Ren Ren application page (on the left navigation menu).
- On the new page, the name of your application is already in place. Leave it.
- Select a category from the Application menu.
- Enter the Application Root Domain of your application. This should be the application hosting the page with Social Login functionality, not the callback URL.
- The name fill field is for you to enter a second URL (if necessary).
- Enter Keywords to help search engines find your application.
- Icons are required in the sizes specified. To upload icons for this application, click Change.
- When you finish entering information, click Save (in the middle of the page).
- A confirmation dialog is displayed. Click it. No new page appears.
- In the left navigation panel, click the Application of Information Settings link.
- On the new page, click Add Application.
- Enter a name for your Canvas. This will expand more settings.
- You must enter the Callback URL. The value is located on the pop-up.
- For Application access URL, your value should be similar to this:
- Change the iFrame height to Custom, and set the value to 500.
- The image displayed when the user is not logged in is required. Click Change to upload an image.
- You can add a WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) station if necessary.
- At the bottom of the page, each heading expands into a panel if you need to add this functionality. Just click the headings that you need.
- Click Save when you are finished.
Now you will use your API Key and Secret Key.
- Go back to the pop-up.
- Copy the API Key and Secret Key values from the text file (or from your application’s main page) and paste them into the fields in the configuration pop-up. If the API Key and Secret Key fields are not displayed, click Next.
- Click Save.
Your Renren provider is now configured and available as an option for Social Login.