Before You Start
- You must have a Japanese smart phone to register with Mixi. Failing that, you can contact Mixi for credentials.
- You will need a Mixi account. If you already have one, skip to the Mixi Identity Provider Setup section. If not, go to mixi.jp and use the following instructions.
Creating a Mixi Account
- Click the yellow-orange button highlighted with a green box shown in Figure 1.
- A new screen is displayed.
- Enter your email address in the field marked in Figure 2.
- Click the orange button near the bottom of the screen, as shown in Figure 2.
- A new page that shows your email address is displayed. Check your email inbox.
- In the email from Mixi, click on the link. Fill out your profile fields. (Chrome includes a built-in translator that might prove useful at this point.)
Figure 3: Mixi Profile and Login Information
- In the Current Address drop-down menu, the very last choice is Overseas. Otherwise, all addresses are for Japanese prefectures.
- On the far right, you can set the privacy levels for some of the fields. Public to a Friend is the top choice.
- At the bottom, in the second section, you can set your password.
- Be sure to click the Terms and Conditions box, just above the big orange button.
- Click the orange button at the bottom of the page when you are ready.
- A confirmation page showing your information is displayed. If it is correct, click the orange button near the bottom. If your info is not correct, click the smaller white button next to the orange button. This takes you back to the profile page where you can make changes.
- If you clicked the orange button, a new page that prompts you for your cell phone information is displayed. This is where you need a smart phone registered in Japan.
- A screen is displayed on your phone. Click the link.
Mixi Identity Provider Setup
To set up Mixi as an identity provider, follow these steps.
- Sign in to the Janrain Dashboard (dashboard.janrain.com).
- Click the Manage Engage App button () corresponding to the property to configure.
- On the right side of the page, click the Provider Configuration link. The Provider Configuration page is displayed.
- In the list on the right, click Mixi.
- Click Configure. This starts the Mixi Setup Wizard.
Figure 4: Mixi Setup Wizard, Intro Page
- After you log in to the Mixi developer’s site, click Next. A new pop-up dialog is displayed.
- Copy the Callback URL to a text file. You will need it in the next section.
- Set up a Mixi partner:
- Go to the Mixi developer’s site.
- The link should take you to the mixi Graph API page. If not, select mixi Graph API from the top navigation menu (it is the second tab from the left, see Figure 2).
- Click the Adding new services link on the left menu.
Figure 5: Partner Dashboard, Add New Service Link
- A new page is displayed.
Figure 6: Registration of New Services Page
- Enter a Service name for your service or application.
- Copy the Callback URL on the Mixi Setup Wizard and paste it to the Callback URL field on the Registration form.
- In the Allowed domain list, enter the domains that your service accepts. This is a whitelist. Any domains not included here will be denied access to your application (do not include “http://”).
- Enter a Contact Email Address in the required field, and fill out the rest of the form as needed. Note: A confirmation email will be sent to this address when the configuration is completed.
- Click the Agree radio button below the Terms and Conditions text.
- Click Check at the bottom of the page. A confirmation page is displayed.
- If all of your information is correct, click Sign-Up. If successful, a confirmation screen is displayed.
Figure 7: Service Registration Complete
- Mixi will send a confirmation email to your contact email address. Click the confirmation link in the email message and re-enter your password to complete the verification process.
- In the top navigation bar, click the mixi Graph API tab. A page with a list of all of your applications is displayed.
- Click your application name. A new page containing your application information is displayed.
- Copy your Key and Secret.
- On the Mixi Setup Wizard, click Next. Enter the Key and Secret values.
- Click Save. A success page is displayed.
Figure 8: Mixi Setup Wizard, Mixi Enabled Page
Your Mixi provider is now configured and available as an option for Social Login.